Renovated IJmuiden Lightering Facility ‘IJ-palen’
The Director of the Central Nautical Management, who is also the (State) Harbour Master, announces the following:
The IJmuiden lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’, located on the north side of the IJmuiden Noorderbuitenkanaal, has been renovated and will be taken into operation on 20 December 2019.
IJmuiden lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’
Mooring arrangement IJmuiden lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’
The IJmuiden lightering facility is suitable for the following seagoing and inland ships:
IJmuiden lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’ - Particulars:
- The lightering facility consists of two Breasting Dolphins (BD) - dolphins with fenders - and two sets of three Mooring Dolphins (MD) located west and east of the Breasting Dolphins.
- For the distances between Breasting and Mooring Dolphins, see mooring arrangement of the lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’.
- The distance between the imaginary line over the Breasting Dolphins and the one over the outside of the fendering system is 4 metres. The distance between the Mooring Dolphins and the imaginary line over the fenders is 22 metres.
- The lightering berth is suitable for ingoing as well as for outgoing seagoing ships with draughts of not more than 17.80 metres in sw/bw1.
- Sea-going ships must moor on the south side of the Breasting Dolphins, thereby occupying part of the waterway profile of the Noorderbuitenkanaal.
- On the south side of the seagoing ship moored at the lightering facility no activities are allowed to take place that could further narrow the waterway profile of the Noorderbuitenkanaal.
- Lightering operations from the seagoing ship on the dolphins into inland ships must take place on the north side of the seagoing ship, near the bank of the Noorderbuitenkanaal.
- Floating cranes and inland ships bound for the lightering facility are advised to approach the facility from an easterly direction.
The mooring arrangement for the types of seagoing ships mentioned below is as follows:
 sw: saltwater, bw: brackish water
This mooring arrangement is the best arrangement for reducing hindrance caused by passing ships in the Noorderbuitenkanaal. It also makes it possible seagoing ships to shift position from east to west (or vice versa) to enable lightering activities without the need to change the mooring arrangement.
Advice to Captains
The IJmuiden lightering facility ‘IJ-palen’ is situated along a busy waterway where large ships pass at short distances. Captains of ships moored at the IJ-palen are therefore urgently advised to set a proper and effective mooring watch and to keep tension on all mooring and spring lines.
Announcement No. 42/2019 published earlier is herewith cancelled.
Should you have any questions about this Announcement, please contact the Duty Operations Manager at the following telephone number: +31 205 234 692.
The Director of the Central Nautical Management, who is also the (State) Harbour Master