The Director of the Central Nautical Management North Sea Canal Area, who is also the (State) Harbour Master, announces the following:
Having regard to:
Articles 3, 4, 5 and 7 of the Shipping Traffic Act;
Article 5.01, paragraph 1, of the Inland Navigation Police Regulations (BPR);
Article 13 of the Shipping Traffic Administrative Provisions Decree;
The Central Government Nautical Responsibilities Mandate Decree 2013.
- The Director of the Central Nautical Management North Sea Canal Area has been mandated on behalf of the Director-General of Rijkswaterstaat to adopt Decrees with the same purpose as traffic signs under or pursuant to the Shipping Traffic Act;
- Speed limits for ships have been established to ensure a safe, smooth and environmentally sound flow of shipping traffic and in order to maintain the usability of the fairway;
- A speed limit also contributes to the prevention or limitation of damage caused by shipping traffic to the water regime, banks, structures and berths located in and along the waterway;
- The placing of traffic signs is not efficient in this case;
- This Decree revises and repairs the legal basis of the current Decrees;
- The regulations laid down are clear and enforceable.
Has decreed the following:
The speed limits for ships on the North Sea Canal, including the IJmuiden Noorderbuitenkanaal and Zuiderbuitenkanaal, the approach channels to the IJmuiden locks, as well as the Afgesloten IJ up to the west side of Stenen Hoofd at Amsterdam have been indicated on the accompanying map and are as follows:
a. Ships with draughts of less than 4.00 metres: 18 kmh.
b. Ships with draughts of 4.00 metres or more and less than 8.00 metres: 14 kmh.
c. Ships with draughts of 8.00 metres or more: 12 kmh.
The provisions of article 1 do not apply to small ships as referred to in the Inland Navigation Police Regulations (BPR). For small ships, a speed limit of 20 kmh applies.
The Director of the Central Nautical Management may grant exemption of the provisions in article 1; the exemption may be subject to conditions and restrictions.
With the entering into effect of this Decree, Announcement to shipping No. 12/92, dated 6 October 1992 is cancelled. The provisions of the regulations in Decree No. 92/9550 EZ/ABJZ, dated 20 November 1992, that relate to the waterway between the Coenhaven and the west side of Stenen Hoofd, are also cancelled.
Should you have any questions about this Announcement, please contact the Duty Operations Manager at the following telephone number: +31 205 234 692.
On behalf of the Director-General of Rijkswaterstaat
The Director of the Central Nautical Management,